I begin by picking out my words that I want to use, and cover them up with some post-it notes... just the sticky part. Then I put gesso over the whole thing and allow it to dry. It is suggested that several coats be applied and allowed to dry... But I'm way too impatient for that. I did try it once, but found no real difference between one or two coats.
Once it is ready to paint on, I look back at my conceptual drawing, a scribble in the margin of my second copy of S.F.R:
Then I sketch it for "real" in the prepared book, using watercolor pencils. You can see the gesso on my hand:
Finally, when all is said and done, I search for the post-it-note covered words of found poetry, and I remove them, to get my finished product. I'm not sure I like the whole "found poetry" thing.. at least, not this way.... I plan to continue with what I'm doing right now, but next book, I plan to find the poetry, and write it in with my own script..... I think it is better..... at least for my mind. I might change my mind, and I might not.